Search interesting materials

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Come work for us

Come work for the NIPFP-DEA Research Program:

Policy analyst
  • A Masters or a Ph.D.
  • Exposure to economics / finance
  • Exposure to the world of public policy
  • Experience with regulations / law will be a plus point
  • Should have read the Percy Mistry and Raghuram Rajan reports, and have some familiarity with the things being talked about in this blog
  • Good quality written English
Quantitative analyst
  • A Masters or a Ph.D. in a quantitative field (e.g. economics, statistics, mathematics, engineering)
  • Skills in statistics / econometrics
  • Experience of being part of a similar team doing applied economics
  • Computer programming that is required for doing applied economics - e.g. R / gauss / matlab / scilab.
Research Programmer
  • Knowledge of programming languages such as C, perl, shell, R
  • Software engineering environment e.g. make, svn
  • Role will be partly to build and maintain software systems, and partly to learn new things and pass them on to the researchers
  • Comfort with living on the Unix commandline
  • Ability to install and admin Linux
  • Ability to interact with high IQ people in a research environment; Interest in being in a research environment
This could be particularly appropriate for a person who is at present a computer engineer but desires knowledge of economics and finance.

12 comments:

  1. Ajay - Is this for full time permanent employment?

    Any ballpark salary figure will be helpful. 5 yrs experience in policy consulting for state govts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, these are not tenured positions. They are contract appointments, to be renewed from time to time.

    Salary - really depends on the person. Give me your resume and we can think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did you leave Physics from the list of Quantitative Subjects

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do say `e.g.' when enumerating a few subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ajay - Procedure to go ahead? Should I send you resume?

    Any approximate salary figure for research programmer? I work in private sector as software engineer with 4 years of experience mainly in Linux and C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ajay, you said that it will be a contract employment. How long will a project last? If I can commit about 2 months right now can I apply?

    Rakesh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where to send resume? Please give your e-mail id.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what mail-id should I send in my resume Ajay? This is for research programmer.
    thanks ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ajay,
    Intersted in following profile, I am listing down my fit to the requirement
    Quantitive Analyst
    1. Masters - MBA ( from ISB ), course work in Financial Engineering and Asset pricing based on GBM
    2. Skills in Stats and Econometrics - Fair experience in asset pricing including path dependent options and other exotics. Trained at ISB and Risk Latte hongkong in financial modelling. Can program in VBA and Octave ( like R )
    3. Experience in Applied Economics - None.

    Please let me know if I should send you my resume, and please also send me your id. I can be contacted at k.kumarneeraj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    For the position of senior programmer is it required to be staying in Delhi?
    santanu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mr. Shah,
    I am excited to do my summer internship as a “POLICY ANALYST” under you. I really like your and Susan Thomas’ research paper on “Market microstructure considerations in index construction in CBOT research symposium”. I am in New York and currently doing MBA with specialization in Finance and Economics from the City University of New York, Baruch College. I am a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountant of India. I worked at National Stock Exchange of India from May 2005 to November 2006 in derivatives trading department and then at ICICI bank as a manager in corporate finance. Although we have neither directly met nor interacted before, I remember working on a few of your data requests such as yearly trading volumes in Index Options and Stock Options before introduction of Securities Transactions Tax on derivatives contracts in India in 2006 budget. I don’t have experience in public policy, but I promise to strive and perform to the best of my abilities. Can you please provide me your email address so that I can send my resume to you? Please let me know about this opportunity so that I can accordingly plan to come back India immediately for this internship. It will be great if you can give more details about tenure of contract, location in India etc.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Comments are moderated. Only civilised conversation is permitted on this blog. Criticism is perfectly okay; uncivilised language is not. We delete any comment which is spam, has personal attacks against anyone, or uses foul language. We delete any comment which does not contribute to the intellectual discussion about the blog article in question.

LaTeX mathematics works. This means that if you want to say $10 you have to say \$10.